Advanced Readings in Computer Graphics
NYU Computer Science Department
719 Broadway, 12th Floor Conference Room
Prerequisite: G22.2270 (Computer Graphics) or equivalent
We will read through and discuss key papers in the last two decades of
research in computer graphics. Some weeks we will concentrate on a
single "difficult" paper; other weeks we will cover several
conceptually interesting but less difficult papers.
Papers are taken from the proceedings of SIGGRAPH unless otherwise noted.
- Turner Whitted, "An Improved Illumination Model for Shaded
Display," p343, Communications of the ACM, June 1980
- Robert Cook, Thomas Porter, Loren Carpenter, "Distributed Ray
Tracing," p137 '84
Presidents' Day (2/16/98)
- Kajiya, "The Rendering Equation," '86 p143
- Goral et al "Modelling the Interaction of Light between Diffuse
Surfaces", '84 p 213
- Robert Zeleznik, Kenneth Herndon, John Hughes, "SKETCH" videotape, '96
Visibility, Anti-Aliasing, Texture, Jello (2/23/98)
Natural Phenomena (3/2/98)
- Loren Carpenter, "The A-Buffer, An Antialiased Hidden Surface
Method," p103 '84
- Paul Heckbert, "Survey of Texture Mapping," IEEE Computer
Graphics & Applications, Nov '86
- Ken Perlin, "An Image Synthesizer," '85 p287
- Paul Heckbert, "Ray-Tracing JELL-O® brand gelatin,"
- Alain Fournier, Don Fussell, Loren Carpenter, "Computer Rendering of Stochastic Models," Communications of the ACM, Jun 1982, p. 371
- Alvy Ray Smith, "Plants, Fractals and Formal Languages," '84 p1
- William Reeves, Ricki Blau, "Approximate and Probabilistic
Algorithms for Shading and Rendering Structured Particle
Systems," '85 p313
Spring Break (3/16/98)
- Craig Reynolds, "Flocks, Herds, and Schools: A Distributed
Behavioral Model", '87 p25; URL: http://hmt.com/cwr/boids.html
- John Lasseter, "Principles of Traditional Animation Applied to 3D
Computer Animation", '87 p35
- Bruce Blumberg and Tinsley Galyean, "Multi-Level Direction of
Autonomous Creatures for Real-Time Virtual Environments," p47 '95;
- "The Adventures of André & Wally B.," "Luxo Jr."
The Haar Wavelets, Multiresolution Painting (3/23/98)
Theory of Multiresolution Analysis, Subdivision (3/30/98)
Surface Reconstruction (4/6/98)
- Eric J. Stollnitz, Tony DeRose, David Salesin, Wavelets for
Computer Graphics, Chapter 6, p 61-77, NOTE: Section 6.3 is optional
- Eric J. Stollnitz, Tony DeRose, David Salesin, "Wavelets for
Computer Graphics: A Primer, Part 2" IEEE Computer Graphics
& Applications, July 1995, p 75-85
- Denis Zorin, Peter Schröder, Wim Sweldens, "Interpolating
Subdivision for Meshes with Arbitrary Topology," '96, p189
Non-Photorealistic Rendering (4/13/98)
Dynamic Simulation (4/20/98)
- Chris Yessios, "Computer Drafting of Stones, Wood, Plant and
Ground Materials", '79, p 190
- Paul Haeberli, "Paint by Numbers: Abstract Image Representations,"
'90, p 207; URL:
- Georges Winkenbach, David Salesin, "Computer-Generated Pen-and-Ink
Illustration," '94 p91; URL: http://inklination.com/ink-htmls/tech-3dPenAndInk.html
- Barbara Meier, "Painterly Rendering for Animation," p 477 '96;
Volumetric Methods (4/27/98)
- Paul Isaacs, Michael Cohen, "Controlling Dynamic Simulation with
Kinematic Constraints, Behavior Functions and Inverse Dynamics"
- Michael McKenna, David Zeltzer, "Dynamic Simulation of Autonomous
Legged Locomotion,' '90 p29
- Yoshihito Koga, Koichi Kondo, James Kuffner, Jean-Claude Latombe,
"Planning Motions with Intentions," '94, p 395;
- William Lorenson, Harvey E. Cline, "Marching Cubes: A High
Resolution 3D Surface Construction Algorithm," '87 p163;
- Robert Drebin, Loren Carpenter, Pat Hanrahan, "Volume Rendering," '88, p65
- Jim Kajiya, Tim Kay, "Rendering Fur with Three Dimensional Textures," '89, p271
- Ken Perlin, Eric Hoffert, "Hypertexture", '89, p253
Richard Szeliski, Heung-Yeung Shum, "Creating Full-View Panoramic Image
Mosaics and Environment Maps," '97, p251.
- Jeremy S. DeBonet, "Multiresolution Sampling Procedure for
Analysis and Synthesis of Texture Images," '97, p. 361;
- Matthew Turk and Alex Pentland, "Eigenfaces for Recognition,"
Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, Vol. 3, No. 1, p. 71
- Bela Julesz, "Subjective Contours in Early Vision and Beyond,"
DIMACS Workshop on Partitioning Data Sets, edited by Cox, I.,
Hansen, P., and Julesz, B., 1995.
- Edward Adelson, "Perceptual Organization and the Judgment of
Brightness," Science, Vol. 262, pp:2042-2044, December, 1993.